On behalf of the WOODCOTE CHARITABLE ASSOCIATION, following a break of three years due to covid and no available field last year, the Woodcote Rally Committee is pleased to announce that, following an extremely successful year, we have donated the amazing sum of £25,000 to local charities and good causes within Woodcote and neighbouring villages. This brings the total donations since the first Rally in 1964 to an enormous £532,000.
The Donations Evening was held in Woodcote Village Hall on Friday 10th November 2023. This event makes it all worthwhile for the Rally Committee and Association members as they see how all their voluntary efforts and hard work have paid off.
The evening began with the presentation of trophies to the best in class exhibits at the Rally. Trophies were awarded to a range of vintage vehicles including cars, motor bikes, commercial vehicles, and, of course, steam engines.
Here are just a few of the highlights:
- The Ran Hawthorne Memorial Shield for large steam was awarded to Ewen Davis for his 1889 Ransome, Simms and Jefferies 4nhp Portable.
- The Castrol Research Cup was awarded to Stephen Mitchell for his 1982 Ford Cortina MK5.
- The Dick Vernon Memorial Award for tractors went to Bob and Amy Carter for their 1957 Nuffield Universal 4.
Other awards presented included the George Ballard Memorial Award for Historic Cars over 40 years old which went to Gareth Wright and the Albert Goldsmith Award for historic motorbikes over 40 years old which went to Sean Brennan. George and Albert, both sadly departed, were long standing members of the Woodcote Charitable Association. Albert’s trophy was presented by his widow Sylvia.
The complete list of Awards can be seen below.
Following a short interlude for refreshments, kindly provided by the Woodcote Village Hall Committee, members of the Woodcote Charitable Association Trustees went on to conduct the all-important part of the evening by presenting cheques to the local charities and organisations.
Here are just a few of the highlights:
- Woodcote Village Hall will use their donation to improve their kitchen equipment.
- The Woodcote Conservation Group are working on the restoration of the lower pond at Greenmore.
- Woodcote Volunteers would like to introduce an on-line booking system.
- Woodcote Community Centre would like to update their booking system and include keyless access.
- St Leonard’s Church aim to install a toilet.
- Christ the King Church are working on stabilising their roof.
The complete list can be seen below.
£500 Wyfold Riding for the Disabled
£750* RG8 Badminton Club, Woodcote
£1250* National Vintage Tractor & Engine Club – Thames Valley Group
£500 1st Goring Heath Scout and Guide Group, Cray’s Pond
£750* Checkendon Brownies
£1250* Oxfordshire Army Cadet Force (Nivelle Company)
£750* 1st Stoke Row Scout Group
£2000* Woodcote Village Hall
£2000* Woodcote Village Green Committee (incorporating Woodcote Cricket and Football Clubs)
£600 Woodcote Correspondent
£1000 Woodcote Community Centre
£2000* Woodcote Volunteers
£1000* Woodcote Conservation Group
£750* Woodcote Youth Club
£500* RSPB Reading Local Group
£1000 Our Woodcote Library (OWL)
£500 Goring Heath Charities
£750 St Leonard’s Church, Woodcote
£750 Catholic Church Christ the King, South Stoke Road
£1000* Woodcote Pre-School
£1000* Cabin Preschool
£600 Bishopswood Special school
£600 Friends of Woodcote Primary School
£700* Langtree School
£750 Dr Griffith Higgs Educational Charity
£500* Checkendon Aid in Sickness
£1250* Alexander Devine Hospice
Over The Years
This is how some of the donations have totalled up over the years. Out of the £532,000 donated since 1964 these are some of the beneficiaries:
- £45,770 Woodcote Village Hall
- £18,465 Woodcote Village Green
- £15,540 Langtree School
- £12,925 Woodcote Youth Club
- £12,145 St Leonard’s Church
The 2024 Woodcote Rally will be held over the weekend of 13th and 14th July and we look forward to seeing you there. Watch out for news of exciting developments that will ensure the ongoing success of the Rally. We thank you for your continued support.