The Donations Evening was held in Woodcote Village Hall on Friday 25th November 2016. This event makes it all worthwhile for the Rally Committee and Association members as they see how all their voluntary efforts and hard work have paid off.
Following the introduction by Mr Peter Solomons (Woodcote Charitable Association Chairman), he and Mr Nic Bartholomew (Woodcote Rally Director) presented the awards to the best in class for the exhibits at Woodcote Rally 2016. The class winners received their trophies showing their huge interest in the preservation of vintage transport including cars, motorbikes, commercial vehicles, and, of course, steam engines.
Here are just a few of the highlights:
- The Ran Hawthorne Memorial Shield for large steam was awarded to Dave Roberts for his 1935 Sentinel S4 Steam Wagon.
- The George Ballard Memorial Award for Veteran and Vintage Cars was awarded to Brian Poulton for his 1938 Triumph Dolomite.
- The Dick Vernon Memorial Award for tractors went to Nick Gibson for a 1957 Ferguson FE35.
- A new award for this year was the Albert Goldsmith Award for motorbikes in recognition of Albert’s long-serving contributions to the Woodcote Charitable Association. His widow, Sylvia, gave this new award to Geoff Pratt of Woodcote for his 1932 Peugeot P108.
The complete list of Awards can be seen below.
|A. Large Steam||A23||Ran Hawthorne Memorial Shield||Dave Roberts||1935 Sentinel S4 Steam Wagon ‘Freddo’|
|B. Vintage Tractors||B84||Dick Vernon Memorial Award||Nick Gibson||1957 Ferguson FE35|
|C. Stationary Engines||C19||Allum Award||Kevin Price||1939 Bamford EV1|
|D. Commercial Vehicles||D23||Dave Sarney Memorial Cup||Martin Parsons||1969 Bedford TK Dropside|
|E. Veteran and Vintage Cars||E20||George Ballard Award||Brian Poulton||1938 Triumph Dolomite|
|F. Vintage Motor Cycles||F8||The Albert Goldsmith Award||Geoff Pratt||1932 Peugeot P108|
|K. Motor Cars 1940 – 1972||K104||Castrol Research Cup||Karon Prior||1964 Austin Healey 3000 Mk 3 BJ8|
|L. Motor Cycles 1940 – 1972||L25||White Lion Cup||Stephen Burwell||1949 Francis-Barnett Powerbike 50|
|M. Military||M19 Main’s Motors||Military Cup||Andrew Broadbent||1968 Land Rover Military 11A Lightweight|
|N. Classic Tractors||B121||NatWest Trophy||Bernard Winnington||1962 McCormick International B414|
|S. Steam Models||S7||Autovolks Trophy||Pat Walsh||Foster 4″|
|Tractor Driving Competition||B133||Bud Finch Tractor Driving Award||Simon Beasley||Massey 165|
|Exceptional Exhibit, Victorian period onwards||B1||Paul Harrison Award||Robert Freeman||1918 Titan|
Following a short interlude for refreshments, kindly provided by the Woodcote Village Hall Committee, members of the Woodcote Charitable Association Trustees went on to conduct the all-important part of the evening by presenting cheques to local charities and organisation.
Here are just a few of the highlights:
- Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue service will use their donation to support injured firefighters, particularly those in our local area.
- Woodcote Youth Club will provide activities for the youngsters of the village.
- OWL (Our Woodcote Library) to buy new books to keep the library fresh and up to date.
- Mowforth House will provide Christmas Lunch for their residents at the Highwayman.
- Friends of Woodcote Primary School will help provide a learning and play zone at the front of the school.
- Woodcote Village Green Committee will use their donation to replace trees on the Village Green.
The complete list can be seen below.
|£400*||Woodcote Cricket Club|
|£400*||Woodcote Badminton Club|
|£200||Riding for the Disabled (Wyfold)|
|£200||Woodcote/Stoke Row Football Club|
|£350*||RG8 Badminton Club, Woodcote|
|£300*||Almshouses Bowls Club (Goring Heath)|
|£600*||Thames Valley Tractor Club|
|£300*||Reading Abbey Rugby Football Club|
|£500*||1st Stoke Row Scout Group|
|£500*||Goring Heath Scout and Guide Group|
|£850*||Oxfordshire ‘Wallingford’ Army Cadet Force|
|£750||Woodcote Village Hall|
|£500||Woodcote/Goring Medical Centre|
|£500||Woodcote Community Centre|
|£200||Checkendon and District Aid in Sickness|
|£250||Woodcote Conservation Group|
|£500||Thames Valley Air Ambulance|
|£200||Oxfordshire Fire & Rescue Service (Firefighters Charity)|
|£300*||Woodcote Youth Club|
|£250||Woodcote Village Green Committee|
|£300*||Henley & District Young Farmers|
|£350||OWL (Our Woodcote Library)|
|£200||Mowforth House, Woodcote|
|£200||Goring Heath Almshouses|
|£550*||Cabin Pre-School Group|
|£550*||Woodcote Pre-School Group|
|£500||Langtree School, Woodcote|
|£600||Griffiths Higgs Educational Charity|
|£200*||Stoke Row C of E Primary School|
|£200||Woodcote Primary School|
|£200||Christ The King, Woodcote|
|£300*||St Leonard’s, Woodcote|
|£100*||St Peter’s (Caversham) Church Organ Fund|
|£650*||Sue Ryder Care, Nettlebed|
|£300*||Marie Curie Cancer Care|
|£500||Thames Valley LUPUS Group|
|£300||Hearing Dogs for Deaf People|
|£200||Macular Society (Goring Group)|
Over The Years
This is how some of the donations have totalled up over the years out of the £456,500 donated since 1964:
- £40,770 Woodcote Village Hall
- £19,280 Woodcote/Goring Medical Centre
- £15,465 Woodcote Village Green
- £13,940 Langtree School
- £11,675 Woodcote Youth Club
- £10,965 St Leonard’s Church